Friday, October 26, 2007

Fielding some questions

1. The couple with the llama....what happened to the wool????
These people don't look real.
Are you sure you didn't dress them up like this just for the photo??

They use the wool. Either they spin it themselves or they take it into town (Oruro) and have it spun for them I think. I swear, that was real.

2. Where did you get the "prom" dresses???

You can get all sorts of stuff here. Every night at don Pedro's house we'd see 10-15 semi-trucks go past on the highway from Chile and they told me that they were filled with contraband. I had to wonder what it was, because the only direction drugs go in Bolivia is out and these trucks were headed toward the city of Oruro. They said that they were filled clothing from the U.S. True? who knows, but there are markets filled with used clothing, and among the clothes are indeed prom dresses.

3. That governor guy looks like he is wearing giant fruit loops around his neck.
What gives??

They pretty much are giant fruit loops. It is puffed grain that they wear at fiestas. My guess, although I should have asked by now, is that it is a festive way to celebrate a good harvest.

4. I'm up for an explanation of the benefits of dry latrines.

Oooh, I'm so glad you asked!
1. No water usage, very nice in the dry dry dry dry altiplano.
2. When used properly there is no bad odor.
3. When built properly the bad stuff won't leak out and get into the aquafer.
4. Six months after closing one side and beginning to use the other (there are two chambers where the poop goes) the contents are sterile and can be used as fertilizer.
5. You can throw the toilet paper into the hole instead of into a trash basket (that's bigger for me than for Bolivians).

5. The kids are adorable. Is there anything I can send you for them?

Just well wishes or prayers, if I do my job you guys letting me go should be enough. But if I think of anything I'll let you know.

6. I have some money from our Church Women's Circle (Susanna Wesley Circle) and
will be sending some baseball things to you in a week or so, in packages less than
4 pounds each. Do you still need that "cup"?

My dad said he'd take care of that, but thank you!

7. Thanks for sharing about the diet of Bolivian pigs. I'll think twice before I eat bacon.

American bacon is totally safe, and one of my friends who went to culinary school once chewed me out big time because I was over cooking bacon. I'd just stay away from the value brand unless you want company in your head in the form of a worm.

8. Fabulous photos. I feel like I am there with ya'all, except for the extra comforts.

Thank you very much!!!

2 comments:

Kritkrat said...

Who is asking all those questions? I think you are making them up. I will try to start asking more questions so you don't have to start making up friends that are inquiring about you.

And what kind of hot sauce is on your wish list? I never knew there were so many different kinds!

Oh, and those really DO look like fruit loops!

Em Cee McG said...

Those questions came from my aunt. and although I do make up friends so that I can sound important, she is 100 percent real. Let's see, with the hot sauce, nothing ridiculously hot, I really like taptio and cholula, but I would be happy with anything... and maybe fruitloops got their start from a really good harvest.