Sunday, October 14, 2007

I swear, we do work in Peace Corps

This is pretty dark, but there's my fellow volunteer walking into the rainbow. We were looking for the house where they were drilling. This is success for us. They are drilling in Condoriri without our help. We spent a few hours walking around looking for the equipo before we had to give up and go back into the central plaza where we found beds for the night.
Many of the houses in the countryside have little chapels, this one was like something out of Indiana Jones (which I hope they show here). It's original purpose seems to have been forgotten. It has been used as a sheep corral for a long enough time to turn the floor black... because of the poop.
33 meters deep with 1 inch galvanized pipe. These campesinos were earning the water that will **hopefully** come from this well. They pull a this stick, which is attached to the rope that is attatched to the tubing.
We use a bipod set up with 4 guide lines. If you have suggestions to make it better or questions as to how it works, comment.
This is the "bus" back to town from our drilling site. That day, the only day of the week when there is transport, 14 other adults, 3 bicycles, 4 llama hides, a baby, and a rowdy rooster wanted to get to Corque in addition to me. We fit in a regular cab, regular bed Ford pickup truck.
This picture just can't do it justice.



After I got back from a week in the campo drilling, llama tripe soup for breakfast, alpaca liver for lunch and tea with bread for dinner I stopped at this pension (house that serves food) for some french fries and chicken. It's never tasted so good. These children live there, and are my future Corque little league all star team.

2 comments:

Kritkrat said...

I need to see another picture of the bipod to figure it out. I couldn't see two feet, or whatever they might be called, so it's hard to visualize. What kind of pulley system is on the top?

Looks like hard work.

Em Cee McG said...

I'm about to head out for the week so I'll take some better work pictures and some more pictures of the equipo.